Tuesday tips — Costume Design 101.
Costume design is a very important part of character design. It tells you a whole lot about your character; ie. age, personality, what she/he likes, time period, strength, … etc. It supposed to enhance a character’s personality.
Here are my process in tackling costume design.
1. Find a good reference. Inspiration is key!
2. Look for a good silhouette that is recognizable and different from other characters.
3. Pick one silhouette and find smaller shape within. Do tons of variation and have fun.
4. Color variation. Use variation of the same color combination for all the design. Keep it simple! I like using split complementary (with a good value range).
5. Finish up and have fun. It is also a good idea to think of texture and material.